Old November 13th 03, 07:22 AM
gwhite

Default Stockpiling 110mm/74mm chainrings and cranks

Rocketman wrote:

There are many arguments in favor of the 110mm/74mm triple crankset
standard, and few compelling arguments against it.

I am not aware of *any* compelling arguments against it.

I've decided to swim
upstream and begin stockpiling a supply of chainrings and crankarms to
support this dwindling crank standard for my fleet of bikes.

Guess what happens when you and others do this? That is right -- it sends a
message to the supply side of the market to _keep making them_. Good for you.
You bought the right stuff.

Sources for 110mm cranks and rings are
drying up, though perhaps not as quickly as we
might have thought.

The marketplace for them may have contracted and squeezed out all but a few
vendors. But that is okay as long as there is enough business for the few that
remain to continue manufacturing them. I don't see the supply going away
completely. Anyone that knows anything about bikes knows that the 110 is the
sweet spot given current wheel dimensions and average rider strength, and there
is a huge installed base of 110's. If anything, I think it may cycle back, and
apparently it *is*.