Old December 11th 12, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
john B.

Default Bicycling and Divorce

On Sun, 9 Dec 2012 21:40:17 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I can't comment on people who take several weeks to be away from their

wives as I really can't imagine it. Perhaps I'm old fashioned by my
marriages have been more a matter of forming a partnership than some
sort of adversary sort of thing.

I don’t know of anyone who gets married for an adversarial relationship. But
the fact is that men and women are very different. There are damn few things
that men and women can do together and enjoy equally. Once this is
recognized, there is nothing wrong or untoward in letting one's mate do her
or his thing without interference. The family that stays together overly
much is destined for a shipwreck.

When it comes to cycling I recommend that men cycle with other men and that
women cycle with other women. That is the only way it is ever equally
enjoyable for both sexes. Tandem cycling is an abomination and was most
likely an invention of the Devil!

I am imparting this knowledge to you from 75 years of being not only a
bachelor, but a hermit besides. Only us hermits know anything worth knowing.
Everyone else has been corrupted by too much human contact. Experience is an
ugly thing and never worth the bother.

Ed Dolan the Great

Well your 75 years of no experience is hardly evidence of a great
knowledge of the state.

Your comment that "The family that stays together overly
much is destined for a shipwreck" may be true in Modern America but it
certainly wasn't the original concept. Originally marriage served the
purpose of (hopefully) ensured that any kids that the husband had to
support through their formative years were his and secondly it
provided a unit, call it partnership if you want, that was far more
capable of coping with life than a single person. Try going out and
plowing 40 acres and than coming home and doing the washing, ironing
and cook supper all by your self.
--
Cheers,
John B.