Old April 28th 15, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

Default What Class of Bike; Terminology ?

Bob wrote in :

Want to help son in picking out a bike.

What is the proper terminology for the class of bike we would be
interested in:

Mainly used on roads, but "some" light usage where it would not be
very smooth. e.g., rougher roads and streets, curbs, perhaps a little
"off-road".

Is it a Hybrid model we should be looking at ?

Any particular type/model of tires best for this "mixed" type of use ?

Sounds to me as if you might need a hardtail mountain bike if the going is
at all difficult, otherwise you could make do with a hybrid. If it were my
choice, I'd go cyclocross, since I want light weight and low rolling
resistance when on pavement, but they can be pricy.

I suggest that you surf a few specialty sites and see if you can pick out
what would do, e.g.: http://www.mec.ca/shop/cycling-bikes/50002+50013/.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO