Old March 1st 14, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

These two bozos richly deserved one another. This is the world of risk that
Blackblade would willing undertake, all in the name of fun and games. The
"thrill" would have been worth it according to him. Well, if you want to have
this kind of fun, then this is how you pay for it. I don't think hikers would
ever have suffered an accident like this one no matter how hard they tried. Of
course, given cyclists on hiking trails, anything is possible.

I was very clear that you are entitled to risk only your own neck ... not others. Stop willfully misrepresenting what I said.

You have already told me that you engage in high risk sports. I have already told you how stupid I think that is.

The trail bike rider was breaking the law, clearly not riding within the 'be able to stop within the distance you can see to be clear' guideline and therefore wholly at fault. If a mountainbiker rode into a hiker in similar circumstances I would happily condemn that too ...

The fact is that mountain bikers are constantly breaking the law. Why? Because it is no fun to ride sedately on a trail. They are into taking risks just like you are. That is why I call them and you merchants of death. Your “freedom of choice” ethos is a dagger planted squarely at the heart of unsuspecting victims. To advocate mountain biking for kids and women is especially reprehensible.

Mountain bikers are barbarians and have no right to be on any trail used by hikers – unless they want to get off their god damn ****ing bikes and walk like everyone else. When they crash and injury themselves, I rejoice! If and when they manage to kill themselves, I say good riddance to bad rubbish! Death to mountain bikers!

“Tread softly! All the earth is holy ground.”
~ Christina Rossetti (Psalm 24),
from "A Later Life: A Double Sonnet of Sonnets"

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great