Old September 1st 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default WTB Suntour CYCLONE BB Spindle

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, 1 September 2019 12:17:11 UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 8:02:20 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, 30 August 2019 21:23:24 UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 8:03:28 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
I heard that from many riders that were in low gear climbing a 3%
grade. The road up Mt. Hamilton is only 7& on the western side since
that was the only road to the top when they built the telescope on
the top and mules can't pull any weight beyond 7%. After listening to
all these people tell me how easy a climb it was I was the first to
the top just riding along. Out of the 20 or so riders I was with up
Mt. Diablo I was one of two that could ride the final 24%.

Exactly what sort of climbing have you done? So far this year I'm far
behind normal and have over 117,000 ft of climbing for the year.

The point is that 3% is not brutal. Hamilton maxes out at 7% and is
an average 4.3% per interweb because of the two downhills.
https://www.climbbybike.com/climb.as...MountainID035

The climbs are mostly in the 5-6% range. It is long. I won the Mt
Hamilton Challenge in '82. Sure, it's not a race, but I won it anyway!
My prize was being the first guy to sign out of the course. And then
I rode home. Whoohoo!

Waah! Cancelled! https://www.hillsidegraphics.com/hamilton-challenge/
I miss Hamilton, although the last time I climbed it while visiting
the Valley, the crack seal was so slippery that I couldn't really get
going on the downhill. Too scary. Utah descents have a lot of crack
seal, too, but the California stuff seems slipperier.

-- Jay Beattie.

I hardly notice it when climbing on the rail-trails around here that
have a 3% grade. They were originally electric railways carrying
passengers and later moving away from passengers to strictly freight
before being abandoned all together.

Cheers

If you "hardly notice it" it isn't 3%. It would be 1%.

no, the surveyors are the ones that put the grade as 3%. Again you don't
know what you're talking about in someone else's locale.

Cheers

This is rather relative though. I’ve done the Petit Train du Nord trail
from St. Jerome to just past Ste. Agathe.
I think the grade is around 4% max. But it’s a packed gravel trail and we
were touring. And no, I didn’t really notice it. But I was also
recently doing a club ride and had to pull up a faux platte for 8 or 9 km
that had a 3% to 4% grade and the speed was around 32km/h. I definitely
noticed that.

--
duane