Old January 31st 19, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Grocery Bike

On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 2:30:12 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 30, 2019 at 10:43:03 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:42 PM, wrote:
I am fortunate to have a grocery store only 3/4 mile from my house. So I walk for groceries.

When I was working at my first engineering job, I owned a car, a
motorcycle and a bicycle. But I walked the mile to work, unless I woke
up late.

Now I ride my three speed even to drop mail at the post office 0.2 miles
away. For me, it's just more fun to ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I'm not arguing its fun to ride. I enjoy riding. But for simplicity, its easy to walk 3/4 mile to the store. Just grab my plastic bags and walk out the door. No clothing or shoe change needed. Coming home is a little harder if I buy heavy stuff. My arms get stretched from the weight of the bags. My walk is pretty pleasant when its not winter. Flat. Sidewalk the whole way. Shade from trees for half the distance. And its good exercise. More exercise than riding the same distance. But its not hard exercise that will improve cardio vascular or strength or anything. Its exercise that gets me off my butt and helps circulation and moves the joints. And I get to breathe fresh air.

Personally, I wish more people drove -- which is actually a quote from my son as we encountered ten cyclists at an intersection this morning. This was in a congested bike facility that funneled into a MUP that ascended to a road intersection with a traffic light. It was maybe 200-300 meters of 2-3% percent grade to the light, so my son hit the gas and we passed everyone and made the light -- peak output 1000 watts as measured by my son's power meter. I about hacked a lung.

-- Jay Beattie.