Old February 6th 19, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2019-02-05 15:09, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 4:43:08 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
We have lots of decomposed granite, some of it in the shape of
almost a powder. The heavier a trail is traveled the more powder
there is. The last remaining bits are crushed by horses. Decomposed
granite mixed with mud is an almost ideal abrasive paste. It is a
horrible sound similar to holding a piece of aluminum onto a belt
sander.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Where I tour on dirt roads in Northern Ontario Canada there's a real
mix of surface conditions from small gravel to gravel, sand and rocks
to deep loose sand. Here's an image of a fairly smooth road I toured
on. Still haven't worn out a rim by using rim brakes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/738325...n/photostream/

That's what they call "forest autobahn" in Germany. That won't wear out
a rim.