Old February 6th 19, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/5/2019 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

[raised eyebrow] 1000 miles? every year? yikes!

I also consider rims a consumable, but due to heart-shape format or too
many eyelets pulled through. I've never worn out a rim's brake surface.

I'm glad you said that. I was feeling inadequate because I don't think
I've ever worn out a rim's brake surface.

I've replaced rims mostly when potholes have damaged them so badly that
I can't jack the dents back out (and I've jacked out several bad dents).
Also when switching from 27" to 700c.

Is there a rule of thumb for how thin I can let a braking surface get?
I'm talking about ancient rims that have no indicator groove.

--
- Frank Krygowski