Old February 6th 19, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Disk brakes might be useful

On 2/6/2019 2:26 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 2/6/19 4:41 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/5/2019 9:34 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/5/2019 8:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:

[raised eyebrow] 1000 miles? every year? yikes!

I also consider rims a consumable, but due to heart-shape
format or too many eyelets pulled through. I've never worn
out a rim's brake surface.

I'm glad you said that. I was feeling inadequate because I
don't think I've ever worn out a rim's brake surface.

I've replaced rims mostly when potholes have damaged them so
badly that I can't jack the dents back out (and I've jacked
out several bad dents). Also when switching from 27" to
700c.

Is there a rule of thumb for how thin I can let a braking
surface get? I'm talking about ancient rims that have no
indicator groove.

A straightedge will give a good idea of the wear. Brake
surface starts out flat, ends up concave:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...st/wornrim.jpg

Lol! I haven't seen that because it's clearly fake news and
doesn't happen. My mate had it, but it was clearly Mexicans
armed with wet'n'dry as we indulged in a light snack after
the Siera Nevada climb.

That is extreme, usually you see the precursor well in advance.

Well, _you_ might. But most don't.

Your average cyclist is pretty average and half of them are
below average.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/