Old February 12th 19, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Conbtinental has come out with a GP5000S and a GP5000TL

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 1:28:33 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 6:58:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 3:43:11 PM UTC-8, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 10:02:35 AM UTC-8, duane wrote:
On 11/02/2019 12:42 p.m., wrote:
On Monday, February 11, 2019 at 2:37:27 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 09/02/2019 4:36 p.m.,
wrote:
On Saturday, February 9, 2019 at 6:52:34 PM UTC+1, wrote:
The first is a clincher while the second is a tubeless. Why should a tubeless tire cost more than a clincher?

Not only do they cost more but you can almost buy a pair of the GP4000's that so many people use for the price of a single GP5000S. It's probably more than $100 for a GP5000TL in a shop in case you run over a killer piece of glass in front of a bike shop.

While Continental is the most popular racing tires (Vittoria is actually a better racing tire IMO) the reason I would change is because the MAXXI tubeless tires I'm presently running feel dead. They actually look narrower than a 25 mm Continental but I just went out into the garage and measured them and they are identical. So I guess the Continental is deeper.

They now have Goodyear tubeless tires and perhaps I try those for the Basso. They are a little cheaper and my experience with Goodyear car tires is pretty good even though I'm pretty negative about a lot of things.

In any case, the Continentals are WAY too expensive and while the top of the line Vittoria I have are tubeless I will use them as clinchers on my Colnago.

I guess I will wear the Maxxi's out but only on economic principles.

The 5000S are 41 euros here, the 5000TL 56 euros.

Lou

Have you tried the 5000S?

Not yet. I have a set in my 'operating theater' (for Jay) ready to be mounted on my go fast bike. It is still off road season here.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wx7Xc2EZQHdbQTEG8

It's still TACX season here. lol

Our snowpocalypse fizzled. I rode on Friday. Saturday was snow and ice, so I took a day off and went for a walk with my recovering wife. We wore our awesome Chinese shoe spikes!

Sunday was skiing with my son in fresh, deep (in places) Cascade snow.. Another bluebird Sunday -- sunny but cold on the mountain and dreary in PDX. There was a lot of ice and packed snow on the way up the mountain which really slowed the conga line to the resort. I miss my studded asphalt-eaters.

Howling wind and rain today. I expect my old Gore AlpX jacket to soak through on the way home. It's time for a new jacket. Even Nikwax wash and spray-on aren't doing the trick. Snow and freezing rain are now predicted for next week. If and when the freezing rain actually gets here, I'm driving -- or maybe just staying home.

-- Jay Beattie.

Be careful out there. They say that Seattle hasn't had that much snow since 1944. That would suggest that people don't know how to deal with it and there's nothing worse that speeding in possible icy conditions. Even in pouring rain here the loony young Hispanics will NOT change their stupid driving habits of swerving from lane to lane to gain 1/4th a car length. There is no lane that you can avoid them in. Even when I get up behind a tractor/trailer with only minimal space between us some jerk will swing through it without even looking to see if there's a car in the next lane passing me that he will hit if he goes straight through. Scares hell out of me all the time and the people in the lane over have to slam their brakes on in the rain. Of course they are also speeding.

You do know I'm not in Seattle (?). Those damned Hispanics! Don't they know how to drive? They should go back to Hispania!

Drivers in PDX and SEA are bad in the snow -- which is odd, because everyone has a Subaru -- required by our Antifa over-lords, and a lot of people drive up to the mountains to ski. The Sunday trek up to Mt. Hood Meadows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Z8aAExNbs It looked like that last Sunday except more snow and more sun -- until noon, then it got overcast. Waaaah. Change to yellow lenses.

Shameless plug for my skis -- made by liberals in Portland. https://shop.on3pskis.com/ Great guys.

-- Jay Beattie.

Yes Jay, I also know that you're normally in the same weather pattern.