Old March 30th 15, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B. Slocomb

Default AG: The best fluid for hydration

On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 12:34:47 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/28/2015 11:27 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

There's a lot of discussion on what to drink, what temperature it
should be, and so forth -- but the important question is "can you get
it inside the patient?". The best hydrating fluid is something that
you like and will drink lots of.

I've found that adding a little salt to my water makes it much easier to
"get inside the patient," especially on long rides in hot weather. And
for me, salt substitute works even better.

The little bottle I've had for years is "Cardia Salt" - part sodium
chloride, part potassium chloride, part magnesium sulfate.

I believe that adding chemicals to a hydration drink to improve the
absorption was the basis for "Gator Aid" and both salt and sugar are
added to water to make the "Oral Rehydration Solution" used to treat
cholera and typhoid both of which cause severe dehydration.

--
Cheers,

John B.