Old August 10th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default I have built a supremely stupid rear wheel!

I spied a pair of Exage hubs in the garage. Hmmm, they'd look
spectacular* on the single Viscount. but I didn't have a cassette tool
handy for the 7spd cogset. spokes still attached on drive side. Loong
as they'd once been laced to those awful single wall Arayas. I grabbed
the Viiscount's original Titlist mech and shifter--and built a neo-
retro 7speed with stupid rear wheel!

32 spoke 4x drive side to fit a Mavic semi aero rim. Non drive I had
proper length spokes for a standard 3x--but couldn't balance stupid
with sensible, so I did 3X, but all heads out. I went over over over
for you avid lacers! I built it up tight and true, but I've invited
doom with the stresses created with my stoopid lacing--and as a bonus,
I believe if I break a drive side spoke I'll need to service the
headset.

Guesses on how many miles till implosion? Front is normal 3x--I don't
like stoopid wheels in front. ;-)

*compared to the hideous large gauge Sora.