Old May 31st 17, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Carbon Bikes and Quality Control

On 5/30/2017 6:58 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 1:19:49 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 11:20:29 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 10:32:10 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
Note to Tom: stop buying Colnagos.

So most of those repairs are to other bikes but Colnago is more dangerous?

Most of the other bikes are breaking under 150 lb riders that do 1,000 miles a year but a Colnago breaking under a 190 lb rider that does 6,000 miles a year is taking a more dangerous chance?

I know of no one who has broken as many CF forks of the same brand as you. You even have friends who broke Colnagos.

I broke a bunch of Cannondale aluminum frames, but they didn't drop me on my face. They had frame cracks and no fork failures. I weigh more than you and ride more miles annually (although on several different bikes) and have never broken a fork. Not saying I won't, but if I were breaking Cannondale forks (for example), I'd buy Trek or Specialized -- and a better health plan.

That's strange because I only broke one Colnago fork. The others were Look and IRD. And it was the IRD that dropped me on my face. So you count one as "more than anyone"?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Brok...bUCkWlel17MJM:

"Cannondale - doesn't offer a Limited Lifetime Warranty because their bikes fail (crack as you put it) on a regular basis."

" was commuting to work on my carbon fiber cannondale synapse. I had just climbed a very short hill, coasted for a bit, and on my next pedal stroke by bike came to an immediate and abrupt complete stope. Fortunately, I was only going about 8mph and was able to click out of the pedals without crashing. Upon inspection, my rear derailluer was firmly jammed into the rear wheel and spokes as well as into the rear cassette. I thought the derailleur hanger had broken.

I took the bike to the shop where I purchased the bike (Old Town Bikes, Olympia, WA.) They were able to pry the rear wheel away and get the derailluer out of the spokes. Upon their inspection, the dearailleur hanger had not broken but had torn through the carbon fiber rear dropouts. The result... carbon fiber frame us now useless. The bike shop submitted a claim to Cannondale. Cannondale came back with their decision today and said they would offer me 20 percent off for crash replacement. I explained, there was no crash where the bike was damaged. Plus, nearly all bikes are reduced 20 percent off for the new models coming in... their "offer" was really no offer at all."

"I was washing my bike the other day and noticed a crack under the crown of the fork of my supersix, opposite where the tire spins. I have no idea how this could have happened, as I didn't crash"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prdqBNPhMFk

Yeah, you're safe as hell on a Cannondale because you haven't been hurt yet.

I disagree about one of those examples.

A gear changer in the spokes is not a frame defect. It's an
installation/adjustment/abuse error, far outside the frame
maker's responsibility.

It _may_ be the shop's error, then again it may not be.
That's commonly normal user abuse, such as throwing the bike
gear-down in the back of a pickup or some such. One might
argue (without conclusion usually) between mechanic setup
and user error but it's not the frame maker's problem at any
rate.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/