Old September 21st 19, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
pH

Default AG: Special clothing for the bike

On Wednesday, September 18, 2019 at 12:48:48 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/18/2019 12:19 AM, Vladimir Sedach wrote:
Joy Beeson writes:

I don't want to fray the hems of my only seeing-a-lawyer jeans, and I
don't keep safety pins in the left-side pocket.

Never tried safety pins. I tight-roll the hems 1980s style, works
great.

Starting back in the 1970s, I tried tucking my cuffs into my socks. The
cuffs slipped out. Then I tried rolling the cuffs up. That took too
long, and if not done perfectly, the cuffs slipped out. I tried pants
clips made of spring steel, and reflective ones made of nylon fabric and
velcro. I tried thick rubber bands.

Most of those would work for a while, but eventually come loose enough
that my dress trousers (when I was riding to work) would end up with
some chain grease on them.

Safety pins work for me. I flip the front of the cuffs to the outside,
wrap them tightly around my ankle and pin them. They stay pinned and
never come loose.

Switching to a waxed chain helped too, but the pins are more important.

--
- Frank Krygowski

When I went to college back in the day I simply started wearing shorts when I got tired of bike chain stains.
I've never looked back and have essentially worn shorts for the rest of my life (so far).

Time out for weddings and sadly, at this stage of the game, funerals.

Saw an enlclosed chaincase "Gazelle" bike which I think was Dutch. Had an electic assist bottom bracket (a big oval shell that the frame seemed purpose-made for) and a Shimano Nexus rear hub. Now chain-stain there.

pH in Aptos