Old July 11th 08, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Katuzo

Default Selecting a Bike

Doctor told me to get a bike. Consumers Reports say Giant FCR3 is good
for exercising ( I'm 57, 5'7", 170 pounds). When I went to the LBS,
and told them I wanted a bike that was also comfortable, and could
take some bumps (be easy on my butt + back), handle curbs, be fitted
with baskets and perhaps even be ridden in a campground occasionally
or a dirt path, they told me to go with something like a Giant Sedona
or a Cannondale Comfort 5 instead. When I talked to the people at
work, they all seem to like low end mountain bikes like the Iron Horse
Warrior 3, except for one buddy who got a $100 dual suspension bike
whose bearing failed in a coupled of yrs. So right now, I basically
confused with conflicting advice. It seems that big tires are the way
to gain comfort but exercise bikes don't seem to have them, and if the
bike isn't comfortable I know I won't ride it. I really would like a
dual suspension, even if it's used + a little scratched. But I really
don't know which way to really choose the style because there such a
selection of bikes out there, not like when I was a kid, it actually a
little confusing. Could you some help sorting this out.
Thanks