Old October 23rd 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default racing with asthma, face mask?

I have developed asthma a year ago after a sinus infection, and stayed
off racing for a year, just riding for myself. The asthma gradually
improved with traditional meds, or just my body adapting (the latter
more likely). I've been off most meds for a couple of months by now.

Recenrtly I timed myself out of curiousity up a local climb which is
used by locals for reference, an all-out effort for ~20 min. I did much
better than my pre-asthma best, but within hours after the race the
asthma came back to the same level it's been when I first developed it.
It's not responding to any traditional meds, too. I am wondering if
anyone who races with asthma has had a similar experience of
race-induced long-lasting asthma relapses. I could not believe that
just a single episode of an all-out riding could cause a long-lasting
damage (an hour of cough is what I expected, but not days, and who
knows how long it will last from now). My body is just fine otherwise.

I am also thinking about racing while wearing a mask (my doc thinks its
the California pollen) - has anyone tried that?