Old December 23rd 10, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default Los Altos Hills bicyclist killed in big-rig crash was a mother,

On 12/22/2010 9:36 PM, Dan O wrote:
On Dec 22, 6:13 pm, "Duane wrote:
"T m Sherm n _ " wrote in

On 12/22/2010 9:33 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
[...]
but personally, the last
thing I want to do is ride abreast with a giant truck.[...]

I will not drive drive next to a semi-truck for any longer than absolutely
necessary.

Nor in front of one. Actually, behind them sucks pretty much
as well considering the diesel fumes.

Trucks in town are best handled by getting up speed well away from
them wherever you can, then getting well in front of them, then
getting out of the way if and when they speed up.

Absolutely. But it's not always possible. On my commute, I have
to take roads that allow trucks and buses and are barely wide
enough for cars. It's not always possible to stay away
from them. In some ways, the buses are worse as they actually
have complete right of way when leaving the curb.

On top of all of this, the trucks and buses are stuck in the
same rush hour traffic as all of the cars. Everyone is tired
and ****ed off and no one is at their best to begin with.

I'm waiting for some bike lanes and/or paths to get put in in
this area. There are a lot of accidents and traffic is getting
worse each year.

Frank can feel free to pipe in any time he wants with his
controlling the lane spiel but there are absolutely NO
cyclists on this route doing that. And as they add bike
lanes and paths more and more cyclists show up.