Old September 18th 03, 02:03 PM
Mike Kozlowski

Default Do front derailleurs inherently kinda suck?

In article ,
Van Bagnol wrote:

Front shifts are jerkier than rear, but shifting shouldn't miss or cause
prolongued chain rub. It seems that your front mechanism needs adjusting.

Well, if I undo the shift, and then redo it, it's usually fine, which
makes me think that I'm just shifting too tentatively or something.
(I don't know if that's even possible; indexed shifting still strikes
me as magical.)

The only time there's prolonged chain rub is if I have both the front
and the rear in the outermost gears... so I just don't do that.

The front has the task of making 10- to 12-tooth gear changes to a chain
loaded with up to 800 pounds of tension. The rear has to make 1- to
3-tooth changes on the slack part of the chain. What do you think?

Makes sense.

Good to know; thanks.

--
Mike Kozlowski