Old August 15th 03, 12:35 AM
Tom Schulenburg

Default USA Cycling category adjustments

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in
message ...

"Tom Schulenburg" wrote in message
.. .

"Crank Yanker" wrote in message
om...
All Category events will now only be open to riders aged 24-29.

I'd hate to be an espoir or junior, as this will substantially cut
down on the races available to them, unless there's a huge upswell in
the offering of these classes. I would thing the racer demographics in
most areas of the country would make these classes prohibitive, as
surely every race is now going to have to have multiple masters
classes to accomodate all the "old" guys.

What if you're in part of the country where master's races are 35+? I
guess you don't get to race.

Latest word is that Masters categories will be based on BMI :

Below 18.5 Underweight
18.5 - 24.9 Normal
25.0 - 29.9 Overweight
30.0 and Above Obese

Scratch the Underweight category. I doubt there is even 1 tenth of 1

percent
of Masters Fatties that are below 18.5 BMI.

Yes, but by definition, doesn't the concept of "Masters" reward a person
just for showing up? Nobody said it had to be competitive. Live long enough
and get a Nats Jersey.

-T