Old January 27th 04, 05:15 AM
Peter

Default Anyone read German, was "Carbon" tires

Matt O'Toole wrote:

bfd wrote:

"Kjell Arne Olsen"
wrote in message ...

Owen Pope wrote:

I have heard a lot of talk about this, but I haven't seen much
in the way of evidence. I've heard about a test by a german
bike magazine that supposedly revealed the superiority of carbon
rubber, but I;ve never seen it.
Some searching turned up this:
http://www.dk-content.de/tour/pdf-ar...s/breitreifen_
0703.pdf

http://tinyurl.com/36fam

The test in "Tour" deals with 700x25 tires, advantages/disadvantages
over 700x23 and 700x20 tires. Not a single word about carbon black,
I'm afraid.

Can you summarize the article and tell us what the
advantages/disadvantages of using 700x25 tires over 700x23/20. Thanks!

Maybe some of our German literate friends could lend a hand...

Nothing too surprising:
Advantages:
lower rolling resistance at same pressure
greater comfort (esp. if pressure is lowered)
less likelihood of pinch flats (therefore allows lowering of pressure)

Disadvantages:
greater weight
greater wind resistance (they question whether this is as significant for
road use as on a track)
don't fit in some frames
harder to remove wheel with some brakes

Nice to see them list which tires can be mounted without tools
("werkzeuglos") vs. those needing tire levers ("Reifenhebern")