Old July 27th 18, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default My Bike Path in the News

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 17:37:42 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 5:12:07 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 14:18:35 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

That is one of my commute routes, which is now a toxic waste dump...

When the authorities are done cleaning up the Portland homeless camps,
could you send them my direction and ask them to clean up ours?
https://www.google.com/search?q=santa+cruz+homeless+camp&tbm=isch
If not, would you mind if we ship our homeless to Portland now that
you have some empty space for them?

Jeff, you need to put your considerable intellect to solving the
homeless problem. Buying them bus passes to Cameron Park has proved
to be too expensive. I'm at wits' end.
-- Jay Beattie.

A solution was tried in Benjamin Thompson (Count Rumford) back in
1790:
https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popular_Science_Monthly/Volume_73/July_1908/Count_Rumford
He had the army arrest all the indigents, beggars, street people,
homeless, bums, etc and put them to work in his House of Industry. Not
only were the streets cleared, but he made a tidy profit on whatever
they produced. I suppose we could try that again.

Long ago, when I still lived in Smog Angeles, someone suggested that
it might be useful to have those on welfare actually do some useful
work. So, they were stationed at the on ramps to the major freeways
where they reduced the number of cars that could enter the freeway in
order to improve traffic flow. I don't recall why the program wasn't
continued, but I do know that the traffic control experiment was
successful and was eventually implemented with the addition of traffic
metering signals at the freeway on ramps.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D