Old September 3rd 04, 08:07 PM
GaryG

"VBadJuJu" none@ wrote in message
"chris christanis" wrote:

I had a cheap Bell computer that did it for me but it fell off (cheap).

So I
bought a cateye but it does not tell you calories burned. Anyway to

figure
this out?

I have one of those and think it is great. The only other
cyclocomputer I've seen with calorie consumption estimation was in the
$150 range (and *not* cordless IIRC).

In that light, I see them as a *value* not "cheap", but also expect
that feature will show up on more of the better 'puters next year.

Highly accurate too at least as to speed (and therefore distance, avg
speed etc). Recently there was one of those automated radar speed
things down the street off and on for about 9 weeks. Coming down the
hill on my way out to ride I could verify the read out vs the radar
thingie.

FWIW, 13 - 15 miles works out to about 1000 calories at 10.5 - 11.5
MPH average for me.

No way would you burn 1000 calories going that slow, for that short a time,
unless the rider is very large. Where did you get that estimate? 1000
calories in 14 miles works out to over 71 calories per mile, which is very
high (especially at that speed).

Per my CycliStats program's Calorie & Watts Calculator, assuming "Rolling"
terrain (422 feet of elevation gain), and a standard road bike configuration
(18.5 lb bike, with the rider mostly on the hoods), a 150 lb rider would
burn 405 calories, while a 200 lb rider would burn 488 calories.

Assuming the ride was done on a mountain bike (24.5 lb bike, with knobby
tires and a more upright rider position), the 150 lb rider would burn around
573 calories, and the 200 lb rider would burn 697 calories.

By way of comparison, 14 miles at 11 mph would take 1 hr and 16 minutes. Per
www.caloriesperhour.com a 150 lb rider would burn 517 calories in that time.
A 200 lb rider would burn 689 calories.

~_-*
....G/ \G