Old August 30th 08, 09:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
redwelly

Default How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

flyer wrote:
woo!

Good stuff, Dave! I bet it won't crumple. In fact, I reckon it can go
further...

I've just calculated how much it saves to put two holes between each
spoke. This is based on drilling 70 holes - missing the two at the
valve; taking density of material as 2.71g/cm^3 (which came out just
right for my own drilling pattern estimate, using 1mm as thickness for
the inner wall) and taking a thickness of 2.6mm for the outside wall,
based on calculating from Dave's weight saved - that seems reasonable
from looking at the valve hole.

So by drilling 70 holes of the following diameters into the visible
wall of a Stealth rim I think we can save:
15mm: 87g
16mm: 99g
17mm: 112g

See attached sketch to estimate how prudent, or otherwise, this plan
may look.

Sam

|Filename: nightrider drilling.png |

redwelly