Old August 30th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default How to drill a nightrider 36 rim?

redwelly wrote:
Good stuff, Dave! I bet it won't crumple. In fact, I reckon it can go
further...

I've just calculated how much it saves to put two holes between each
spoke. This is based on drilling 70 holes - missing the two at the
valve; taking density of material as 2.71g/cm^3 (which came out just
right for my own drilling pattern estimate, using 1mm as thickness for
the inner wall) and taking a thickness of 2.6mm for the outside wall,
based on calculating from Dave's weight saved - that seems reasonable
from looking at the valve hole.

So by drilling 70 holes of the following diameters into the visible
wall of a Stealth rim I think we can save:
15mm: 87g
16mm: 99g
17mm: 112g

See attached sketch to estimate how prudent, or otherwise, this plan
may look.

Sam

Couldn't you cut bigger holes if you put one hole closer to one edge of
the rim and the other hole closer to the other edge of the rim?

--
GizmoDuck

The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net

The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details.