Old June 2nd 04, 04:57 PM
maxo

Default Real Bike Cities.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 07:57:46 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

You might re-post your troll in rec.bicycles.racing where people make a
sport of such things.

yep--trolling it is,but perhaps grounds for interesting dialog regardless.

The numero uno reason this is a troll, is the fact that Amsterdam isn't
mentioned as one of the European cities. :/

However there are too many to mention, my hometown of Gothenburg, Sweden
is especially nice--they have seperate bike lane and lights in the city!
Makes you feel like just another vehicle.

Seattle--I've been there many times since I used to live in the region, is
very bike friendly as far as attitudes go--outdoorsy lifestyles are a very
integrated part of the city's identity. I must admit that I sold my bike
when I was in the region (mainly for sustenance, I was in college )
because I hadn't come to terms with the challenge of almost daily rain and
some pretty brutal hills. Eventually I bought a vintage three speed with
fenders and found that to be the perfect NW bike--you could push it up a
hill and look perfectly natural--it's a three speed--and the fenders were
a godsend.

My favourite bike city in the states is Chicago! Lots of everyday normal
folks ride--not just the crunchy granola types. There are plenty of bike
lanes, and motorists--as aggressive as they usually are in the big city,
seem to tolerate cyclists. The city also has installed bike racks, real
solid brilliant ones, almost everywhere! I find that more important than
the bike lines almost. Chicago's also flat--so you can ride whatever piece
of junk you have laying around and not worry too much about theft.

my 2c