View Single Post
Old August 29th 13, 12:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Gregory Lynne
external usenet poster

Default Any recourse when negligently hit by another bike?

On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 2:51:23 PM UTC-4, Anatol Zolotusky wrote:
I'm a newbie in this group, so apologies if this question has already been discussed.

The story: this morning on my way to work I was slowly riding my bicycle out of my driveway in Palo Alto, CA, into the street, watching for incoming traffic from the left of the street. When crossing the sidewalk, I've been blindsided from my right by another cyclist (who was, of course, riding on the left sidewalk, relative to his direction). The guy knocked me down and rode over my rear wheel, thus completely ruining it. After which he said that he wasn't going to pay for my wheel, because the collision was not his fault - see, the street doesn't have the bicycle pass, so he can ride where he damn pleases. He did give his name though - Edward Berkowitz from Palo Alto.

So, the question is: do I have any recourse in such cases - perhaps for the future mishaps like this. The ******* has caused a few hundred bucks of damage, and left me literally in the dust. Does anyone have any advise, for this case, or for the future?

TIA,

--Anatol

(cross-posted from rec.bicycles.misc)

Sorry to hear about your accident. It would seem to depend on local (city? subdivision? ordinances)
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home