Old February 23rd 18, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp's output

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 8:16:58 AM UTC, Oculus Lights wrote:
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 8:32:03 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp's output. Stumbled across this while I was looking for something else. No recommendation, but I remembered you guys were discussing lux ratings not too long ago.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...4b9c46a0WLmNTx

Andre Jute
Always helpful

My lux meter is a calibrated Triplett multimeter that cost ~$190, with a 5mm x 1 cm oval sensor for accurate point measurements in beam targets that don't describe a region like a square cm, they only state a "point" like the B bright spot on the STVZO specs. My targets are 5mm squares, that I measure at 10 meters, measured to within .5cm distance at the horizontal to the B spot. Btw for those into innuendo, yes the spec has a G spot, just to the right of the F spot.

The real measure of visibility does come in lumen measurements, the problem in inflated test methods. The realistic measure of visibility comes in Beam Lumens and Field Lumens. This is like Olympic scoring. Throw away the low, throw away the high. For Beam Luens, only count mmlumens where the lux measure is at least half of the maximum. For Field Lumens, only count where the lux is at least 10% of max. At least 25% of a common big Night Rider is less than 10 of the max. Light and Motion does better, but still has hot spots in the center and too much dim fade on the edges. Usable visibility on the Oculus is amazing compared to any other, because I project a beam evenly downrange, yet without a bright hotspot that the eye fixates and stops down to. Thus the eye sees evenly downrange far better than other lights care capable of. Put another way, lumen counts aren't always inflated. But where the lumens go is not considered in the standard way that bike lights are tested. This despicable FL1 spec that only declares total lumens is demonic creation of the industry itself to legitimize the racket they know they're pulling on everyone's eyes, so that they can include all their "crap" lumens, the dim junk that the eye filters out as too dim and too far out into the peripheral vision, along with the bloated bright spot where countless lumens are wasted, they eye tuning down to compensate for the overly bright center spot so that you only really can see what the bright spot covers, like overstuffing a dartboard with so many darts on the bullseye that no other darts anywhere else on the dartboard matter in your score.
Oculus lights up where your eyes want to see, evenly, with enough light so that its not too bright where the eye would have to dim down, nor too dim that its wasted because its not in your field of central plus some peripheral vision that you want and need to see in when operating a moving vehicle..
Its why NASA is using my optics for the lunar rover, despite other systems giving a brighter total measurable light output, because light rays only count where you can see and process them, not overstuffed and wasted in the center where you can see already with a much lower lux level, nor wasted on the sides where its too dim to process, so why waste precious electricity from the batteries to send lumens out where your vision systems can't detect and process?

Yo, Barry, while I'm happy to have a detailed explanation of a better method, there's no great gain in telling me. I believe you. I agree with you. I've said for years that the lamp manufacturers are a bunch of lying sharks. I called them out by name.

Andre Jute
Onside