Old February 23rd 18, 09:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Inexpensive LUX meter from China to measure your bike lamp's output

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 6:02:07 AM UTC, Frank Leake wrote:
On 22/02/18 09:13, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 6:16:19 AM UTC, Frank Leake wrote:
On 22/02/18 01:52, Andre Jute wrote:

snip

In any event, by subjective measurement a la Roger's post, I
judge I already have what on balance I consider BUMM's best lamp,
the first series Cyo R (I also have reflectorless version but it
isn't as good in lanes as the R, and I have the Fly-E with
supposedly the same optics but with a very nasty hotspot), so I'm
not even in the market for new lamps.

Three of those dies before I gave up on them, all inside 18 months
each.

You want to be careful what you say here, Frank. The slightest
suspicion that you think every BUMM lamp, including the ancient
lethal glimmerers, were not Immaculately Conceived by the Great
Engineer, and the BUMMbuddies will hound you for months
foryourheresy.

I'm riding the IQ-X atm, the finest light Bumm produced after the IQ-Fly
imho.

I have an IQ-FLY-E. It has a nasty hotspot that makes it a real migraine generator as my eyes try to adapt. See Barry's Oculus expo about the reaction of the eye below; despite what you may have heard here from idiots like McNamara and Krygowski, who aren't exactly famed for sticking to the truth in the heat of an argument, or any other time, Barry's got the psychology of the eye spot on (I'm by training a psychologist and an economist). Piccie of the hotspot on the Fly E at http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec6.html
It would be an excellent bicycle lamp without the hotspot.

Innesreting. I don't know, but I strongly suspected water ingress
killed them. Only Bumm light I've ever had issues with.

Water ingress through the unprotected hole where the wires enter at the bottom of the lamp is a well-known failure mode among touring bicyclists for the Cyo and quite a few other BUMM lamps. On other conferences I belong to, newbies are usually told not to mount the lamps at hub level, or upside down, or to submerge to lamp in river crossings, or to direct a power wash at the lamp without blocking the hole, etc. I can't say I'm actually worried about losing a lamp; you're the first person I've heard of who's been so serious unlucky.

Andre Jute Bring back global warming!

It never went away!

And explanations for why it is not only invisible but intrinsically undetectable will match in ridicule those at the beginning of the last century for why the "ether" supporting all wavesforms including interstellar light was invisible, indeed undetectable.

Andre Jute
Being a cyclist doesn't mean you have to park your brain for the duration