Old February 23rd 18, 08:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default rubber compounds

On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 20:02:06 +0100, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

If you parse the word into duro meter, it is
somewhat obvious that it refers to the
instrument, not the units of measure.

To me the intuition is the other way around:
durometer = instrument, as in thermometer,
hygrometer ...

Do you measure temperature in units of themometers?
Do you measure humidity in units of hydrometers?

Before you ask, zero durometer means that you
punched a hole in material under test and 100
means that the indenter needle didn't move.

OK, but wouldn't that also depend on the
thickness of the material? Or is "strength thru
thickness" a fine way of doing it?

Yes, it somewhat depends on thickness. If the "dent" produce goes
though the material and pops out the other side, you'll get a much
softer measurement than one that does NOT pop out the other side.
Similarly, stacking up a pile of rubber sheets until the dent is
totally inside the material, will produce something harder. I could
try it now with some inner tubes, but I'm in a rush to collect on a
free lunch. Maybe tonite.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D