Old February 26th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default v-brakes

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
Here are a couple of pics to facilitate the
discussion:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/bike/brake/

I've heard that

1) the long spring pin should be in the
middle boss hole

2) the pads/shoes/blocks should be slightly
pointing inward on the rim on the front
end

3) the arms should be vertical

4) between the cable anchor bolt/cable
clamp and the noodle/guide should be
39mm of cable

Most brake arms seem to be curved - so which bit needs to be vertical.

I frequently have a problem with no clearance between cable clamp and noodle
guide.

The steel rims seem to be slightly wider than the aluminium ones, so I can
usually use the blocks down to their wear limits without stacking washers on
the brake block studs when the noodle hits the clamp.

Arms bolt upright gives optimum leverage, so worth aiming for if you can get
it. Maybe set them leaning out a bit so they wear in to vertical.

"toeing in" the brake blocks is to prevent brake noise - leave it and its as
good as a horn/bell for dumbass pedestrians wandering about in the road.