Old September 24th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling?

Conrad.Nguyen wrote:
Unicycling is decent exercise, but it depends on what you do (trials,
MUni, Distance, etc.). If you're looking for _better_ fitness, your
time would be better spent running, _biking_, or lifting weights. If
you want to get better at unicyling, unicycle.

I think mile for mile, MUni is a superior form of exercise than biking,
which gives the rider the opportunity to just sit there and coast down
steep hills, more than _15_ gears to help them climb, handlebars to
rest, no constant attention and focus on acute balance requirements,
and so on. While running can be a good way to get fit, it's also much
harder on the body, especially the knees and spine, plus the fact that
you're not carrying the extra weight (14-22lbs depending on uni and
with or without backpack) of a MUni as you go. And lifting weights does
SQUAT (Pun intended) for aerobic fitness. I MUni 5-7 days a week and
have found it to be the best overall way to get and stay fit.

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)