Old June 15th 18, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Crooked handlebars. What do you do?

On Monday, June 11, 2018 at 4:04:46 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
One minor annoyance I have with bike work is, when re-tightening a stem,
getting the handlebars adequately straight. I eyeball carefully, but
often find when riding that they're a couple degrees crooked.

I suppose the task is more difficult on most of my bikes, which have
fenders and handlebar bags. It's hard to sight exactly where the wheel
is. And I find it harder with classic stems than threadless setups,
since the stem height wants to change as I adjust.

So, any particular tips?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I just go for a test ride up and down the street, few hundred yards each way. Carry an Allen wrench. When you get back to the driveway, turn the bars. Repeat the test rides until you get back to the driveway and don't want to change the angle. I doubt I can patent this ingenious method. I use the same method for saddle height and handlebar angle in the stem. Test and trial. After you eyeball it pretty close to start with.