Old February 26th 14, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
NFN Smith[_2_]

Default Lights Question: Blinking Best ?

Stephen Harding wrote:
In Europe (Germany I think), it's illegal to use blinking lights on your
bike. You must use non-blinking ones.

This is backed up by studies (Europeans do a lot more transportation by
bike than Americans) that revealed blinking lights (tail lights) are
more difficult to detect object motion, than with steady lights. You
want motorists to realize there's something moving ahead of them,
[hopefully] producing more caution in their approach.

I haven't seen studies, but from experience, I don't like blinking lights.

Yes, a blinking light is better at grabbing attention, but as a
motorist, I've noticed that when I'm approaching a bike with a blinking
tail light, the blinking makes it nearly impossible to tell how far away
the bike is, and how fast it's going. In my view, a blinking light is
appropriate only for a standing object.

Thus, on my own bike, I won't use a blinking light. As a cyclist (and I
do ride busy thoroughfares), I expect motorists to treat me as another
vehicle (with the same rights and responsibilities), and act accordingly.

I suppose something could be said for having both a blinking light and a
steady light, but to me, the blinking light draws attention away from
the steady light, and may negate the value of the steady light.

In the US, I believe that most states' vehicle codes require
non-blinking headlights.

Smith