Old April 8th 17, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Dirty word: Lube

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 12:51:40 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 8 Apr 2017 13:42:32 +1000, James
wrote:

A few weeks ago I applied my wax/oil chain lube, just before starting a
cycling touring holiday that went for 9 days. We encountered 4 days
where it rained for a good part of that days ride. The average day was
near 100km long. I've since added another 200km or so, and my chain
might be ready for another wax/oil application by now. Note that I just
got home from an 80km ride and the chain doesn't squeak or sound dry.

I observed numerous others on the ride spending time applying lube to
their chain, mostly in the form of commercial and relatively expensive
wax in solvent preparations.

There was one other guy who used a wax based solution that he'd mixed
himself from a recipe he found online. It consists of paraffin wax,
paraffin oil and xylene solvent. He didn't need to make any chain
maintenance stops either.

The other guy's receipe? Was it for a lube that had to be applied hot
or was the xylene enough to allow it to be applied as a liquid and
then dry in place?

--
Cheers,

John B.