Old September 2nd 07, 01:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

Default minnesota bicyclists arrested

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 15:04:19 -0500, in rec.bicycles.tech Tim McNamara
wrote:

In article ,
!Jones wrote:

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:06:34 -0600, in rec.bicycles.tech
wrote:

http://www.startribune.com/crime/story/1396202.html

A friend there said they were "Critical Mass"; I thought that bunch
was defunct.

Critical Mass rides happen monthly in dozens of cities. Far from
defunct.

Put 'em under the jail, I say!

While I have doubts about the efficacy of Critical Mass rides in
reducing the car culture, that seems a bit harsh to me.

Well, essentially Critical Mass (CM) is what's wrong with our social
fabric. It's not about bicycles, it's about civil behavior... the
fact that I believe myself to be a victim does not allow me to
infringe the rights of others. When a CM rider runs a red light and
causes a driver with a clear right of way to slam on his or her
brakes, then the cyclist is wrong.

How did Pogo put it back in '70? "We have met the enemy and he is
us." It's an identical mentality... the only difference is the number
of wheels your vehicle has on the ground, which, IMO, is irrelevant.

Jones... who remains unconvinced but is still listening.