Old April 11th 11, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

Default I miss Jobst

In article
,
Frank Krygowski wrote:

On Apr 10, 5:46 am, thirty-six wrote:

The high price is part of the sell. Some people feel better for
spending what they feel is an appropriate amount for the product.
They feel they will be faster, fresher and safer.

Some years ago, I was giving a tour of our industrial robotics
laboratory to some high school students. Hoping to make a point about
the cost benefits of factory automation, I asked "If you could buy two
cell phones that were exactly identical but one was less expensive,
you'd buy that one, right?"

One girl adamantly said "No, I'd buy the more expensive one. It would
be better."

I said "No, I'm talking about identical phones. The only difference
would be the price."

"I'd buy the more expensive one. More expensive things are always
better."

She's probably still a marketer's dream. (I wonder if she rides a
bike?)

`Identical' is a slippery term. Two instances of the
same model out of the same factory might have been built
to different quality control specifications; or testing
revealed that one batch suffered more, but acceptable, defects.

--
Michael Press