Old August 4th 15, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AG: Safety Equipment for Bicycles

On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 11:31:17 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/3/2015 9:47 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote in news:mpldnc$kp7$1@dont-
email.me:

FWIW, I find eyeglass-mounted mirrors to be much superior to helmet
mounted ones. Positional stability is better, ease of attachment is
greater, and of course it works with any (or no) hat. And as a little
detail, I can even use it flat-water kayaking, to make sure my wife
doesn't get too far behind in her boat.

I haven't yet found a satisfactory mirror, period. I face optical
challenges similar to those John B. mentions.

And isn't it interesting that helmets are still number one the minds of
Americans in the "bike safety" category? Have you ever been
complimented for obeying the rules of the road?

Yes.

For bicycling only when sober?

No, but it hasn't come up.

For properly choosing your lane position? Probably not.

Actually, yes.

But surely you'll agree that helmets are the number one thing commented
on. It's slacking off just a bit in recent years, but "Always wear a
helmet" is still very commonly the first item in lists of bike safety
advice. Sometimes it's the only item.

No, I don't think so. Mostly, they comment on bicyclists' flouting of traffic laws, such as riding on sidewalks and running stop signs. Here the law requires helmets only for those riders under 18 years of age.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO