Old November 3rd 17, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 3:31:46 AM UTC, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Melanoma (UV responsible for skin cancer) in Australia is high and was
on the rise until recently. At the same time, non-melanoma skin
cancer rates are flat:
http://wiki.cancer.org.au/skincancerstats/Skin_cancer_incidence_and_mortality

Poker game in Adelaide, South Australia, circa 1975, not a single native-born Australian in the room. In the break while we're grabbing a drink and a sandwich one guy, a doctor, says to another guy, an insurance agent, "Those Irish you keep selling insurance to, they've got a suicide gene. They've never seen the sun before, they get here, they see the sun, they rip their shirts off and don't put them back on until they have a melanoma the size of my fist on their back." The insurance guy says, "Be difficult to give them up. They're about three-quarters of my commissions." Years later i heard the insurance guy was in trouble with his bosses at the insurance company for insuring too many Irishmen on whom they had to pay out for melanoma-related fatalities.

The rise and fall of Australian melanoma statistics has much to do with the origins of their immigration and little or nothing with any notional hole in the ozone layer.

Andre Jute
A lifetime under hats keeps me looking young