Old October 16th 17, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Bicycling & health benefits of?

On 2017-10-16 14:10, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Joerg:
They say "at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity such as
cycling or brisk walking every week" or "75 minutes of vigorous
aerobic activity, such as running or a game of singles tennis
every week" plus strength exercises. Following links from that
page tells you that flat riding is "moderate," fast or hilly
riding is "vigorous."

I see the same sort of pronouncements from supposedly-knowledgeable
people in other fields.

Heaven forbid they should express activity in concrete terms like "heart
rate at 85-95 percent of (220 - The Person's Age).

But nobody seems to, so I am taking "Vigorous" to me 85-90 percent of
(220 - my age) until somebody in the know corrects me.

But my cardiologist looks at me funny when I start talking like that....
so go figure.

There are metrics to that.

https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity.../heartrate.htm

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity...ical-activity/

Jogging isn't my thing but cycling above 15mph is. I think most people
on this NG do that as well. There are the occasional riders like a
neighbor of mine who'd almost fall asleep at 20mph but that is rare.

What also helps is hilly terrain. When I get back from the valley I have
to climb around 1200ft net and be there by dinner time, including lots
of ups and downs. I don't like climbs but it's certainly vigorous
exercise if you go up there without a bail-out sprocket and granny ring
(my road bike doesn't have either).

When the breathing becomes intense and the sweat band needs to be
swapped every 5-10mi that is quite vigorous.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/