Old September 12th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Touring as one gets older.. men do it .. birds do it.. but :::

On Sep 8, 12:10*pm, "Thomas, Spring Point Light"
wrote:
women don't do it.

I love touring. *Whether it is a day trip and one night out, or across the
country.

The feeling of freedom, or actually doing something crazy, leaving the
comfort of
home, to ride off on a bicycle .. wowo.

But the ladies I know, or meet, won't go. *Seems the only females I meet on
tour
are young, or kinda young and with their man/husband.

I asked one gal about this and she said "camping?, no f...ing way,, I hate
sleeping in the
woods, I want the Hilton".

Ok,,,

Is this a gender issue? *I personally hate sleeping or staying at Hiltons,
or that type of
expensive place. *I will do it, when necessary, but I much prefer to be in
the mountains,
with my pup tent, sitting by a fire, looking up at the stars.

What you all say?

I think this is one area to consider our basic 'animal urge' as a
motivating force. Non migratory female animals tend to stay in one
general area and take care of the offspring. Non migratory males tend
to roam more and explore a much wider area. Not to say that these
urges control our actions, but might be the last percent or two that
tip the balance. Give a woman a comfortable RV to travel in, and I
bet you get a lot more travelers.