Old March 11th 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default 6'6" beginner rider wonders: 62cm or 64cm Trek frame?

In article
,
Kyle Bramblesglarb wrote:

I'm a tall beginner rider preparing to buy my 1st road bike. I've
begun training for a century ride on my Trek 5400 MTB while I shop
for something faster.

I'm considering a Trek 1-series and for 2010 they offer a 64cm frame
in the Trek 1.5 bike. I was wondering if anybody could let me know
if the 64cm would make a noticable difference over the 62cm frame. I
may not be able to justify the increased cost and may end up just
getting a Trek 1.1, but I'm concerned about comfort and getting sore
on long rides. If starting with a larger frame would make a big
difference, I'll try justifying the additional expense.

The larger frame will make a big difference- I would recommend
considering an even larger frame, a 66 or 68 at your height. In order
not to feel cramped and uncomfortable with a 62 or even a 64 you would
need to resort to very long seatpost and stem.

I'm 6'4" and a 64 is about right for me.

--
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather,
not screaming in terror like his passengers.