Old November 7th 04, 05:35 PM
rwwff

(Y bar) wrote in message . com...
As part of my study, I need to submit a RESEARCH PAPER on the topic
"The effects of the bike on the human being".
Here are few ideas that I came with:
* Improve the physical fitness of the biker.
* Improve the health of the biker and prevent illness

I think these are demonstratable in the context of a research paper.
I know my heart rate and colesterol(both) drop like a rock when I'm
consistently riding. [broke leg skiing earlier this year, so I'm just
getting back..]

* Improve the domesticity (bike with kids / spouse)
* Social life (meet other people with the same hobby)
* Mental health

I think these are wishful thinking.

The bike also has an effect on the universe:
* Less traffic --- less air pollution

Yes.

* Less need to invest on highways / roads

No, not unless you can figure out how to haul tanks by bicycle.
Highways are there first and foremost for military transport and
interstate commerce. The fact that they are great for personal
vehicles is a nice extra benefit. In addition, I'm much more picky
about surface quality of roads I ride my bike on versus roads I'll
drive my car on, so you could say mass use of bicycles would result in
more frequent road maintanence/resurfacing.

* Less energy

Yes.