Old December 22nd 05, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Can I safely drill through Chromoplastic?

Yonatan Mazuz wrote:

Hence, the question in the subject line. I believe the "Chromoplastic is
simply metal with a plastic laminate on each side. So is the laminate
prone to some sort of horrible cracking/shattering requiring some
ultra-specific drilling technique, or can I just have a go at it?

The technique is to start with a very small bit, i.e. 1/16", and work
your way up, 3/32", 1/8", 5/32", 3/16", etc. until you get to the hole
size you want. If you start with the bit for the hole size you want, it
can be dangerous, as it can snag the plastic and crack it. Use a high
speed drill, and don't put a lot of pressure on the bit.