Old July 1st 09, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Is Drillium Cool Again?

On Jul 1, 3:28*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Andre Jute" wrote in message

Hey, I have drillium on my bike too, straight from the frame-builder,
and after seeing your work I was wondering aloud, earlier in this
thread, if I should line it in gold (the bike is green with gold
coachlines, see

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf
That was quite interesting Andre. Thanks for the tour.

Happy to entertain a helpful cyclist.

Later, when I add the fitting-out section to that PDF, I'll also add
the drillium I missed photographing the first time round because I
didn't see it behind all the gear and fittings. (A really good frame
is one on which the owner for years discovers new felicities of
workmanship and use.) The brake bridge is beautifully laser cut. The
question arises, is a lasered cutout, no matter how intricate (in this
case the maker's name, Utopia, all caps) also drillium or does the
fact that it is computer-controlled exclude it? I just don't see even
Van Raam in The Netherlands, who built the frame with obvious loving
care, filing something that complicated by hand, or even Utopia
customers paying for so much time at Dutch labour rates (probably the
highest in the world, anyway near the top) for a brake bridge that is
almost totally hidden on the assembled bike. Yesterday Jeff the
Drillium and I were discussing the aesthetic place of pantographed
drillium; one wonders where CNC laser cutouts fit.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html