Old March 3rd 12, 07:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Critical Mass can clear a street for emergency vehicles.

"roger merriman" wrote in message
Doug wrote:

Here is an excerpt from a car-free network email.

"...In the USA, automobile congestion is a major factor in emergency
response delays, causing additional loss of life. (In contrast there's
no delay when there's a critical mass ride when a fire truck needs to
get through, because bicyclists clear the street almost instantly,
whereas motor vehicle gridlock has no option..."

Of course, the same applies to ambulances.

On the whole cars and what not do the same, pull up on the kerb both
sides and a ambo can can barrel though even a rushhour dual carrage way.

roger

20 years ago that was true, the cars were less well sound insulated and
drivers seemed more alert, the old two-tones seemed much louder than the
modern electronic variety, people did clear a path and emergency vehicles
did rocket through. Not nowadays, I am amazed at how many people seem
totally unaware of an ambulance (for instance) coming up behind them and
then seem unable to work out where to go. Recently I slowed because an
ambulance was coming up from behind, there was a long traffic island coming
up so the ambo needed to go through first, as it got nearer, the car behind
decided to overtake me! , totally oblivious to the flashing lights and
sirens behind him/her. This caused the ambo to slam the brakes on and lose
most of his speed.