Old November 27th 07, 07:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
G-S

Default Simple bikes for local transport

Theo Bekkers wrote:
wrote:

Amen! Personally, while my first two bicycles as a kid were single
speeds, I can't imagine ever buying or desiring a single speed again.

I only rode single-speeds as a kid and rode from Mt Lawley to Perth after I
started work on the same bike I had in High school. When I got back into
cycling at age 40, I rode a fixie for a while from Balga to the City. No big
deal. You just need to have a manageble gear, which means you're limiting
your top speed a little.

Assuming the area has no serious hills this is true. A serious hill
means gearing where either you get off and push or you settle for a top
speed of 15kph

G-S