Old January 21st 13, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Jym Dyer

Default Bicycling and Divorce

= Brian D. Potter
For instance, we have a demonstration ride here in my home
town--not Critical Mass stuff, but with a "We ARE Traffic"
mentality.

=v= Imagine that, a "mentality" that happens to be traffic law
in all 50 states. :^)

=v= Critical Mass, in same way or another, was behind my meeting
nearly every girlfriend for the last 20 years. That doesn't
mean every relationship with a biker has worked, nor that the
bike was responsible for the ones that didn't.

Do divorcees turn to cycling to express grief, anger,
tension, disappointment?

=
It works MUCH better than therapy.

=v= Emotions in the light of divorce are situational, rather
than an inherent imbalance in chemistry to be treated with e.g.
antidepressants, so cycling can address the emotional states
just by producing endorphins.

=v= Therapy that works to identify underlying motivations and
unconscious behavior patterns that interfere with relationships
could be a greater improvement in the long run, though it's not
easy to find a competent relationship therapist. Currently the
track record of most therapies is no better than no therapy at
all (but indentifying these things may still be what you want).
_Jym_