Old December 11th 13, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Spoke deflection - force

On 12/11/2013 3:45 PM, Kiraly wrote:
I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT
Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and
heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",
I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This
guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of
deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

Yes, use rim maker's value, assuming you have brass nipples
with lubrication.
Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/