Old June 26th 03, 03:08 AM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

Default URT sucks?

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 21:03:53 +0200, "Dave Stocker"
wrote:

|"P e t e F a g e r l i n" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
| |- Only active if rider remains seated (rider stands on swing arm when
|out
| of
| |saddle) bad?
|
| Not necceessarily.
|

| Actually true.
|
| Actually false. The Ibis Bow Ti is active when you are out of the
| saddle. Less active than when you are seated, but active nonetheless.
|

|Holy Cow! That monstrosity is a URT? I have never seen this thing in real
|life, but I found this picture. http://www.soresaddle.com/ibisbowbi.jpeg
|

|OK, lets define URT before we go any further.

How can you define something when you apparently don't understand what
bikes are URTs?

If you defined it as variable
|BB-saddle distance, then yes, it would be a URT. But titanium monstrosities
|are not comparable to pivot based bikes made with relatively inflexible
|materials.

Again, you are discussing things that you apparently have no
experience with.

From the fact that it is ti and a look at the layout, I think I
|get the basic principal of how it works*. Calling this bike a URT would be
|like cutting the seatstay out of a Scalpel or Unicoi (or most hardtails for
|that matter) and redefining them as URT bikes.

Uh, you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper.

I would define unified rear
|triangle as a pivot based bike with the BB on the rear triangle. In this
|definition of URT, when you get out of the saddle, you are standing on the
|rear triangle and holding on to (in a roundabout way) the front triangle.
|

|*It appears to be a big leaf spring. When you sit on it, you add a
|considerable preload and thus it is not very active.

Uh, again, you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper.

When you stand, you
|are unloading that preload. It looks clever. Has anyone here ever ridden
|one? Nevertheless, IMHO, it is inappropriate to label this thing URT.

LOL.

Educate yourself:

http://www.math.chalmers.se/~olahe/Bike/Rear/urt.html

http://www.titusti.com/techtalk.html

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/F...7/fullsus.html

To answer your question, yes, I'm pretty sure that someone in this NG
has ridden a Bow Ti.