Old February 25th 08, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Andre Jute

Default Conti Contact Security vs Schwalbe Marathon Plus cycle tires

On Feb 24, 10:20*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"TJ" wrote in message
http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticy...security.shtml

Continental, Germany tells us the Contact Security is

"Designed for industrial applications, the ContactSecurity can also
perform well in everyday use. Its massive puncture-proof breaker was
developed to resist metal cuttings and shards on factory grounds. In
view of its tough construction, it is not a comfortable touring tyre
with low rolling resistance, but it does effectively ward off gravel
and shards on short stretches in the city."

How do these compare for puncture protection, speed and mileage
against the Schwalbe Mararthon Plus ??

Thanks

I am quite happy with SM+ for Chicago city commuting. I hate flats, and I
don't get any.

As far as I am concerned (personally), this issue is closed.

Unless the tires are discontinued (e.g. Schwalbe City Jet), or moved to
production in a country that results in a significant drop in quality
(e.g. Tioga Comp Pool).

And unless there is a significant price difference. Though the
recommended retail price is about the same for the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus and the Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcase, from the discounters
the Bontrager was about 60 per cent the price the last time I looked.
As I have both and cannot for the life of me see any significant
difference, a 40 per cent price difference would have to feature in my
decision.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/B...20CYCLING.html